iPad Apps for Coaching
The iPad has unique features that made it ideal for using in a gym or classroom setting. If you’re considering an iPad for your gym or classroom, here are apps you might consider to help you stay organized:
Attendance and Team Organization
For a gym or classroom, the apps below will help you get organized.
- Attendance 2, $4.99 – Attendance is a universal iPhone/Touch/iPad app that allows you to take and keep attendance records. Its main intended use is for teachers to keep track of records for their classes, but it can also be used for meetings and group gatherings.
- Round Robin, $0.99 – Generate Round Robin Tournament Schedules based on the number of teams/players. Wins, losses, and draws can be recorded. The resulting schedule and results can be emailed. Tournaments are automatically saved and can be deleted with a swipe.
- Team Shake, $0.99 – Team Shake provides a technological and environmentally friendly way to choose teams for board games, sporting events, tournaments, school projects or anytime groups are required. Instead of a hat and scraps of paper, the user enters his friends’ names in his iPhone and gives it a shake. The screen will then display a random set of color-coded teams. The newest release brings many new features, including balancing teams based on skill or gender.
Timers and Scoreboards
These iPad tools will help you organize your play time with your group or class. These cover everything you need from beginning to end – from choosing an activity to timing and scoring
- Timer tools, $2.99 – You get a suite of powerful timers that are super easy to use. Timers include: Countdown, Stop Watch, Turn Timer, Seconds Up, Seconds Down, and Interval Timer. Access and set any timer with just a few clicks. All the most frequent times teachers use are available as presets. Timer display size is maximized to see from a distance. More attractive and teacher-friendly than any other timer apps available.
- Super Multi Stopwatch, free app – Multiple Timing Stopwatch allows you to manage an unlimited number of competitors. Switch transparently from multiple to single timing stopwatch. Best Lap, Lap, Pause and Resume feature. Easily export or share your times via email.
- Tabata Pro, $2.99 – Tabata Pro is a full featured, easy to use Tabata timer for weight training, kettle bells, running, cycling, or any interval fitness training. Set up the Workout DJ to automatically play every time you start your session.
- Giant Scoreboard, free app – A generic scoreboard, featuring a timer that counts down and giant digits, visible from 50ft away. Team names are customizable.
Fun Ways to Choose Your Own Adventure
Need help choosing? From deciding on an activity to your coin toss to see which team goes first, these apps will help make your decisions for you.
- Make Dice, $2.99 or Lite version for free – You can make dice anywhere anytime on the iPad, iPhone & iPod touch. Where should we go? Who should it be? What do we eat? We all come across a situation where decisions are hard to make. How about having a dice make the decision for you?
- Decide Now!, $2.99 – Sometimes in our life there seems to be no choice or … just so many of them, that it’s hard to decide. Decide Now! will help you to quickly choose your next step in different situations and give you entertaining ideas on different occasions. Decide Now! is an app, that allows you to choose among your OWN creative ideas too! Can’t decide? Do it in a fun way with Decide Now!
- Spin It, $0.99 – Spin It is a random exercise & activity generator that brings the fun back to your activities. Use the app to create your own ‘spinners’ in minutes, allowing you to randomize the results for serendipitous fun. Add your own images to the spinner to uniquely identify them amongst their groups. One tap and your ready for a ton of randomized fun.
- Coin Toss Free, free app – Wanna flip a coin for a hard decision? This app let you select your favorite coins to try your luck.
More Great Coaching Apps
Here are more apps that we have found either useful or fun, or both!
- Coach’s Eye, $4.99 – Record it. Break it down. Get better. Improve your pitcher’s fastball, straighten your golf swing, easily break down a volleyball serve, improve soccer skills, or even demonstrate weightlifting form. Coach’s Eye makes instant feedback possible on the field or on the go.
- Klikaklu, free app – Klikaklu is a photo hunt game that uses your phone’s GPS, camera, and advanced image matching technology. It’s a great way to quickly create and play treasure hunts!
Any classroom has risk of at least one disruptive student. Let iPad help. The iPad can be a useful tool to calm someone who is autistic or a child. Here are apps that can be used to help engage, distract or otherwise calm someone before a meltdown happens.
- Pop Flux, free app – Pop Flux is a motion-sensing augmented reality game that puts you on the screen and in the action. Using cutting-edge computer vision techniques, Pop Flux utilizes the front camera on your iPhone or iPad to detect your position and motion precisely and smoothly.
- Sensory Just Touch, free app – Sensory Just Touch is a fun effects app for all with 30+ incredible touch effects. Morph your face in the Hall of Mirrors – Just Touch. Experience incredible visual, kaleidoscopic, entrancing patterns that respond – Just Touch. Fly through colorful tunnels and galaxy pathways that open in front of you – Just Touch.
- Sega Go Dance, free app – Go Dance is a unique and exciting dance app. Simply stand your device on a table, desk, etc. and enjoy getting funky! Just move to the music and strike a pose using the iPad’s camera.
- Turn on the Guided Access setting to ensure no interruptions.
- Consider a LifeProof case to keep your iPad protected.
- Learn why the iPad is ideal for using to get in shape.
If you’re considering an iPad for your gym or classroom, here are lists of more apps you might consider:
- iPad apps for Fitness – fitness apps to get your class or group moving.
- iPad apps for Management – tools to help you manage your classroom and your time.